This article 1st appeared in Sixty and Me
By Dave Price — Featured Contibutor
In retrospect, it was some of our scariest minutes as parents of a then three-year-old.
The experience began innocently enough when my wife Judy, our son Michael, and I visited my mother’s house on a warm spring day in 1976.
Judy and I were in the family room talking to my mother. Because Michael spent quite a bit of time at my mother’s, he had a playroom down the hall, where he immediately headed to play with his toys. Or at least that is what I thought.
After about five minutes, I headed to the playroom to check on Michael. But he wasn’t there. I heard him down the hall in my mother’s bedroom. Entering the room, I found him standing next to an open pill bottle. Pills were scattered over the floor.
Fearing the worst, I hollered for my mother and Judy. They rushed to the bedroom. Judy and I bent down to talk to Michael.
“Did you take any of these pills?” we asked him, trying to keep any tone of terror from our voices.
“No, Mommy,” he said. “I was trying to reach that brush there and the bottle fell over. I’m sorry.”
Judy grabbed the pill bottle from the floor and headed hurriedly down the hallway to call our pediatrician.
I hugged Michael and said, “Mommy, Grand mom, and I aren’t mad. We just need to know. Are you sure you didn’t take any of those pills?” I said, pointing to the scattered collection of capsules on the floor.
“No, Daddy,” he said.
Judy reentered the room. “Dr. Varga said we shouldn’t worry, but we should go to the emergency room just to be sure,” she whispered to me.
After a tense drive to the hospital and about 90 minutes of observation in the emergency room, the doctor on duty assured us that Michael was telling the truth. If he had ingested any of the pills and they were to cause any harmful effects, it would have happened by now.
Before leaving the hospital, we called my mother. You could almost feel her relief rush through the phone lines.
Now, the moral of this tale is that even the greatest grandparents (and believe me, my mother was definitely in that category) can never be too careful. But still, accidents can – and do – happen.
To keep reading this article, click here.